When I got my friend Tony Weakland to commit to recording a Late Night Conversations podcast, I was almost certain that we were going to do one that was strictly about Hip-Hop.
When I asked him for a suggested theme for the episode, he said he wanted to do one on "Influential Musical Artists"... I didn't immediately know how to process that statement. I assumed he was going to provide me with four Rap artists and I would have to adjust my selected tracks after seeing his list.
He provided me the following list of artists and songs:
- Lionel Richie - Dancing on the Ceiling
- Red Sovine - It'll Come Back (I had never heard of this guy or his music until today)
- Run DMC/Aerosmith - Walk this Way
- The Dead Kennedys - To Drunk to Fuck
My jaw dropped... I couldn't really piece together how these songs weaved into his life and I didn't expect the soundscape to be so diverse. All I knew was that I was really looking forward to talking about these songs and artists with him.
- Fats Domino - Going to the River
- Michael Jackson - Human Nature
- Guns n Roses - Its So Easy
- The Replacements - Left of the Dial
- Fugazi - Waiting Room
I can't thank Tony enough for being a part of the show. We've agreed to do a Hip Hop episode in the very near future.