When you pen entries about albums in your music collection every single day, you begin to worry about saving something special to say for albums that mean the world to you. While visiting Austin last night, I stopped into End of an Ear and picked up one of my all time favorite albums by the New Pornographers.
An album I purchased, listened to and didn't quite get the genius of it until I had a memorable evening with it in South West Detroit. It was one of those nights where you meet someone through a mutual friend and you never see them again for the rest of your life.
I ended up in someone's house one night and helped make 1" buttons for a friends band. A girl on the South West Side of Detroit, had a home business where she printed and pressed buttons for a very reasonable price. I was given a pair of scissors and I participated in a 4 hour discussion that covered a variety of subjects.
During said exchange, this album got slipped on and while cutting out hundreds of logos - it occurred to me that this album was one of the best albums I had ever heard. What tripped me out was that I knew I had it at home and I wasn't listening to it enough.
If you've never heard this album, I beg that you stop everything you're doing to give it a listen.
Stand out tracks:
- The New Pornographers – The Electric Version
- The New Pornographers – The End Of Medicine
- The New Pornographers – All For Swinging You Around
- The New Pornographers – The New Face Of Zero And One
- The New Pornographers – Testament To Youth In Verse (this song is life affirming)
- The New Pornographers – Ballad Of A Comeback Kid
- The New Pornographers – July Jones
Artists: The New Pornographers
Album: Electric Version
Producer: The New Pornographers